Parmesan Peppered Pea recipe is a spin-off of The Barefoot Contessa's version, only I add a lot of ground black pepper. Even if you claim to dislike green peas, I think you'll enjoy this recipe. Try it!
What Type of Peas Should I Use?
Frozen sweet peas work best in this recipe. Simply rinse and drain them before placing them in the boiling water.
Can I Use Canned Peas for Parmesan Peppered Peas?
Experiments with canned sweet peas did not yield a very tasty, nor appealing version of this recipe. Frozen sweet peas work best because they retain their shape and flavor.
Craving More? Try Orange Glazed Carrots!
Parmesan Peppered Peas
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz. bag of frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, bring water to boil
- Once water is boiling, reduce heat to medium high and add green peas
- Cook peas for 7 minutes; drain and return peas back to saucepan
- Add butter and coat peas well
- Add pepper and Parmesan; combine well
- Plate and garnish with a pinch of Parmesan
- No salt is added to this recipe because the Parmesan is salty enough! Feel free to add more salt if you prefer