This quick and easy Skillet Supper is a one-dish dinner that is made from ingredients you probably already have in your pantry!
Seasoned ground beef with sauteed onions, rice, black beans and cheese --perfect for busy school or weeknights, and is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Why you'll love this recipe!
- Simple Pantry Ingredients - you probably have everything you need in your pantry right now to make this
- Quick - ready in less than 30-minutes!
- Easy Clean-up - one skillet!
- Gluten-free - no wheat
Here's what you'll need:
Ground beef, a can of black or pinto beans, a can of stewed tomatoes, rice (optional), ground cumin and chile powder! That's it!
How to make it:
Saute the onions and beef, add drained beans and stewed tomatoes; season with ground cumin and chile powder
Add prepared rice (optional)
Top with cheese and pop in the oven until cheese melts
This quick and easy stove-top Mexican dish is a beginner-level recipe. Saute ground beef, onion and stewed tomatoes; add drained beans, seasonings and cooked rice. Top with cheese and/or avocado and dinner is done!
What type of beef should I use for Mexican Skillet Supper?
Lean ground beef works best. After browning the beef and onions, drain off any oil, add beef and onions back to the skillet, then add remaining ingredients.
What type of beans should I use?
Black beans work really well in this recipe, however, pinto or red kidney beans will work well, too. Drain and rinse canned beans before adding them to the skillet.
Can I make this recipe in advance?
This skillet dinner is perfect for large groups and can easily made in advance. To make it in advance, simply compile the cooked ingredients into a 9 x 13 baking dish, cover and refrigerate.
When you're ready to serve, add cheese, cover with foil and bake about 20 minutes @350ºF; remove the foil and bake an additional 5 - 8 minutes, or until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
- Serve with homemade guacamole , chips and salsa!
- Place a spoonful in a warm flour tortilla and serve as a burrito or
- Put some on a crispy corn tostada!
Make this Mexican Skillet Supper as simple or elaborate as you like!
- Add drained corn, chopped jalapenos, drained green chiles, cilantro or jicama
- Top with sour cream, avocado sauce or fresh pico de gallo
- Authentic Mexican Rice
- Restaurant Quality Canned Refried Beans
Mexican Skillet Supper
- Cast-iron skillet or oven-proof baking dish
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 15 ounces stewed tomatoes with liquid
- 15 ounces black beans drained
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- cilantro, scallions, avocado, sour cream garnish (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a heavy bottom skillet, heat oil. Add onions and beef; cook till beef is no longer pink; drain; return beef and onions to skillet
- Add tomatoes (with liquid), ground cumin, and chile powder; allow mixture to cook until tomatoes are tender and their liquid has thickened
- Add drained black beans;
- Prepare rice according to directions (optional)
- Add cooked rice to beef mixture; top with shredded cheese; bake 15 minutes @350ºF uncovered, or until cheese melts
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, sour cream or avocado (optional)
- After browning the beef and onions, drain off any oil, add beef and onions back to the skillet, then add remaining ingredients.
- Drain beans before adding them to the skillet.
- To make it in advance, cook the beef, beans, onion and tomatoes; cover and refrigerate
- When ready to serve, add shredded cheese, cover with foil and bake 20 minutes on 350ºF; remove the foil and bake an additional 5 - 8 minutes, or until the cheese is thoroughly melted.