Mexican Skillet Supper is a one-dish stove top recipe that is quick, easy, cheap and filling! Seasoned ground beef with sauteed onions, beans and cheese, this skillet dinner is perfect for busy school or weeknights, and is ready in less than 30 minutes!
You probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen--one pound of lean beef, a can of beans, a can of stewed tomatoes and rice. That's it! The secret is in allowing the stewed tomatoes to cook down into a rich sauce and accenting the dish with ground cumin and chile powder.
This quick and easy stove-top Mexican dish is a beginner-level recipe. Saute ground beef, onion and stewed tomatoes; add drained beans, seasonings and cooked rice. Top with cheese and/or avocado and dinner is done!
What type of beef should I use for Mexican Skillet Supper?
Lean ground beef works best. After browning the beef and onions, drain off any oil, add beef and onions back to the skillet, then add remaining ingredients.
What type of beans should I use?
Black beans work really well in this recipe, however, pinto or red kidney beans will work well, too. Black beans have more antioxidants than other types of legumes, so if you're all about ramping up your nutrition, use sodium-free black beans. Drain and rinse canned beans before adding them to the skillet.
Can I make this recipe in advance?
This dish is perfect for large groups and can easily made in advance. To make it in advance, simply compile the cooked ingredients into a 9 x 13 baking dish, cover and refrigerate. When you're ready to serve, add cheese, cover with foil and bake about 20 minutes; remove the foil and bake an additional 5 - 8 minutes, or until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
What side dishes go with the Mexican Skillet Supper?
Mexican Skillet Supper
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes with liquid
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese grated
- cilantro, scallions, avocado, sour cream garnish (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a heavy bottom skillet, heat oil. Add onions and beef; cook till beef is no longer pink; drain; return beef and onions to skillet
- Add tomatoes (with liquid), ground cumin, and chile powder; allow mixture to cook until tomatoes are tender and their liquid has thickened
- Add drained black beans;
- Prepare rice according to directions
- Add cooked rice to beef mixture; top with shredded cheese; bake 15 minutes or until cheese has melted
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, sour cream or avocado (optional)