Make restaurant-quality chicken tenders at home in less than 15 minutes! This quick and easy recipe works everytime, so there's no need to go out or "drive-thru" for good home cookin'!
This is one classic Southern comfort food you often find in every restaurant south of the Mason-Dixon line, usually served with cream gravy for dipping! Now there's no need to dine out for really tasty, crunchy and flavorful chicken tenders--just make some at home!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick and easy - homemade chicken tenders are ready in less than 15 minutes
- Affordable - you can use pre-cut tenderloins or cut a chicken breast into slices. A little goes a long way!
- Make as a snack or entree
- No additives, preservatives or yucky stuff
Here's what you'll need:
- Chicken tenders or chicken breast
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt & Pepper
Here's how to make it:
Just a few preparation steps..the homemade chicken tenders take less than 15 minutes to cook!
Lightly salt and pepper chicken tenders
Set-up a dredging station: One bowl with eggs lightly beaten and another bowl with flour, cayenne, salt and pepper. I use pie plates, but you can use a bowl or a zip lock bag.
Place seasoned chicken in beaten eggs and coat well
Then, drag the egg-coated chicken through the flour mixture; coat well, lightly shake off any excess and...
Place chicken into hot oil; let the tenders cook about 3-5 minutes before flipping them
What type of oil do I use?
For crispy chicken, use an oil with a high heat capacity, like corn, vegetable, canola, walnut, grapeseed or peanut oil. Olive oil is not high-heat tolerant.
How much oil?
It really depends upon the size of your pan. You want about an inch of oil in the bottom of the pan. Heat it till it's almost to smoking point-you'll see the steam/smoke coming off the top of the pan. When it gets to that temperature, it's almost too hot, so turn the heat down a bit and put in your coated chicken tenders.
How to tell when it's done
The most precise measure is to use a meat thermometer. When it registers 165ºF, the tenders are safe to eat. I usually put them in the pan and don't move them for about 5 minutes; if one end of the tender is thicker than the other, I might adjust the position so the meatier part is closer to the center flame. After about 6 -8 minutes, use tongs and flip the tenders over. Another 3-4 minutes and they should be done. Drain on paper towels.
Looking for more comfort food? Try:
♥ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating! I love to hear from you!
Homestyle Chicken Tenders
- 1 package chicken tenders (allow 2-3 tenders per person)
- 2 cups flour
- 3-4 whole eggs slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon paprika (smoky; not sweet)
- 1/2 cup oil (canola or vegetable) not olive oil
- Lightly salt and pepper chicken tenders
- In a heavy bottom skillet, add 1/2 cup oil and bring to medium heat
- In one flat bottomed bowl (I use a pie plate) add lightly beaten eggs
- In a second flat bottomed bowl, add flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and paprika; combine with fork
- Dredge chicken tender in egg, then flour and add to hot skillet. Do not turn chicken until one side is completely done; (check it by lifting up an edge with a fork to see if it's browned)
- Repeat dredging tenders in egg, then flour; work in batches; do not overcrowd the skillet
- Once one side of the tenders is browned, flip it over and brown the other side
- Use a thermometer to ensure chicken is 165 degrees internally
- Place on paper towel to remove any residual oil
- Chicken tenders are the tenderloin of a whole chicken breast, however, you can make this dish with chicken breasts, too. Just slice the breast in half lengthwise and pound with a meat cleaver until the breast is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Want chicken nuggets? Cut the chicken into bite size pieces
- If you're making nuggets for a big group, place the egg/floured nugget on a foil lined baking dish and bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes; be sure to flip them during the baking time
- The usual condiments are ketchup, a ranch-type dressing, barbecue sauce or honey mustard dressing