This recipe uses all-natural seasonings-not the packet of "dried seasonings" that comes with the bag of beans.
You'll love this recipe!
- Easy, affordable and healthy
- Filling, low fat and low cholesterol
- All-natural: no additives or preservatives
What you'll need:
- One pound of "15 Bean Soup Mix"
- Tablespoon of oil
- One medium yellow onion
- One smoked ham hock
- Broth/Stock: chicken, beef or vegetable
How to make it:
Make 15-Bean soup on the stove top or in the slow cooker! Stove top directions:
- Soak beans overnight
- In a large stockpot, add oil and saute onions
- Add smoked ham hock, drained beans and broth
- Allow to cook with plenty of liquid until legumes are tender
- Season with salt and pepper
Slow cooker instructions:
- Add soaked beans and all ingredients into cooker; add plenty of broth
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
Soak the beans overnight
The beans in the soup mix are dried beans, of which some require soaking. For best results, soak the beans in water for at least eight hours. Pour off the soaking water and then cook the beans according to the recipe. Soaking beans is the best way to reduce gas; however, if you don't have time for soaking, simply put a few drops of Beano™ in the bean soup.
Make it vegan/vegetarian
Make this bean soup for your vegan or vegetarian friends by simply substituting chicken/beef broth with vegetable broth and omitting the hamhock. Use Liquid Smoke to get that smoky flavor.
- Add a can of Rotel, stewed or Fire Roasted tomatoes to give added flavor
- Add sliced sausage
- Cut up a green bell pepper and add it
♥ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below.
- 1 pkg dried 15 bean soup mix
- 1 large smoked hamhock optional
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 64 oz. vegetable, chicken, beef broth/stock -OR-
- 64 oz. water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- In a large stock pot on medium heat, add oil and chopped onions
- Saute onions until translucent or tender
- Add water or broth/stock
- Add ham hock; available in the meat/ham section of your grocer. I recommend using a smoked ham hock for optimal flavor.
- Add beans
- Allow beans to come to a boil
- Once beans have come to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover
- Continue to cook, checking liquid level frequently, until all beans are tender
- You can purchase a 15-bean soup mix pre-packaged, or buy the 15 bean mix in the bulk section of some grocers. If you purchase the pre-packaged bean mix, discard the seasoning packet.
- The seasoning packet is 'ham' flavorings; the ham hock serves as a healthier substitute for the packet of dry seasonings.