Baked Rigatoni is a satisfying, quick Italian pasta dish with tubular pasta, fresh Mozzarella, Parmesan and San Marzano sauce! Quick, easy and satisfying!
Baked Rigatoni is a delicious and easy meal to prepare for those nights when you don’t really feel like cooking…A pound of Rigatoni fills a 9 x 13 pan, which makes this a perfect choice for large groups and…it’s very cost efficient! If you’re on a tight budget, or simply don’t have the energy to pull off a four course meal, this baked Italian recipe works in a cinch!
Can I Use A Different Pasta Than Rigatoni?
Yes! Any tubular pasta works well with this recipe! Consider using Penne, Ziti or Bucatini as a substitute. The point is, tubular pasta holds the sauce better than long strand pasta.
Can I Make Baked Rigatoni in Advance?
Absolutely! There are two ways you can make this recipe in advance: 1) cook the pasta and assemble the dish with cold sauce and cheese; cover and refrigerate (up to 3 days) or 2) prepare, bake and assemble the entire dish, then refrigerate it for up to 3 days. Note: if you freeze this dish, you may need to add a little water prior to re-heating because the tomato sauce will thicken when frozen.
What Should I Serve with Baked Rigatoni?
Craving More Pasta Recipes? Try Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1 lb. Rigotini pasta
- water to cover pasta
- 3 cups pasta sauce * see recipe notes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings dried
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper optional
- 6 oz. fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Prep large 9 x 13 baking dish: lightly spray with oil; set aside
- Make sauce and keep on warm (see recipe notes)
- Bring large stock pot of water to rolling boil; add rigatoni pasta; cook for 12 minutes; drain
- While pasta is cooking, cut Mozzarella cheese into 24 cubes; shred the remainder and set aside
- Pour drained pasta into baking dish; tuck in cubes of Mozzarella cheese; pour sauce over pasta and combine well; sprinkle, Italian seasoning, crushed red peppers, shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan over sauce
- Bake at 350ºF until cheese is melted (about 15 minutes)
- This recipe can be made with either homemade San Marzano sauce or jarred, pre-made sauce.